Thursday, July 12, 2012

KNIBBEL No.36 - BEKERING VAN JOHN STOTT WAT WOENSDAG, 27 JULIE 2011 OP 90 OORLEDE IS

Min mense het 'n groter invloed op my Skrifbegrip, denke en geloofsoortuigings gehad as John Stott - hoewel hy 'n Anglikaan was en ek 'n Baptis is.

While at Rugby School in 1938, Stott heard the Reverend Eric Nash (nicknamed "Bash") deliver a sermon entitled "What Then Shall I Do with Jesus, Who Is Called the Christ?"[4] After this talk, Nash pointed Stott to Revelation 3:20, "Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me." Stott later described the impact this verse had upon him as follows:

"Here, then, is the crucial question which we have been leading up to. Have we ever opened our door to Christ? Have we ever invited him in? This was exactly the question which I needed to have put to me. For, intellectually speaking, I had believed in Jesus all my life, on the other side of the door. I had regularly struggled to say my prayers through the key-hole. I had even pushed pennies under the door in a vain attempt to pacify him. I had been baptized, yes and confirmed as well. I went to church, read my Bible, had high ideals, and tried to be good and do good. But all the time, often without realising it, I was holding Christ at arm's length, and keeping him outside. I knew that to open the door might have momentous consequences. I am profoundly grateful to him for enabling me to open the door. Looking back now over more than fifty years, I realise that that simple step has changed the entire direction, course and quality of my life.
Nico van der Walt

No comments:

Post a Comment